Unison relationship manager Danny Gough said the man was a third-party contractor who was digging in the area on Te Ngae Rd and had come into contact with Unison’s underground network and suffered an electric shock.
Directionz general manager Stephen Lincoln confirmed the person was a “long-term” employee at the company.
”They were installing a sign at the time, digging the foundation for a sign.”
A St John spokesman said two ambulances, one helicopter, and one rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene and one patient in critical condition was taken to Waikato Hospital via helicopter.
A Waikato Hospital spokeswoman said the man was in critical condition in intensive care.
WorkSafe has been notified.