An excavation crew working in a southwest Bend parking lot struck a two-inch natural gas line Tuesday afternoon, bringing fire and utility crews to the scene and cutting service to a nearby hotel for a time.

The incident was reported around 2:20 p.m. in a parking lot near Bond Street and Wilson Avenue, Bend Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Dave Howe said.

The Residence Inn by Marriott at 500 SW Bond Street was without gas until repairs to the line were completed.

The fire official said the natural gas lines were properly located before the excavation work, but Howe added, "it is important to remember that utility locating crews can approximate the actual lines, but cannot determine the depth."

"Therefore, within two feet of the actual painted line locations, excavation should be done by hand, so as not to strike any type of utility line," Howe said.

"Anyone doing any excavation should call 8-1-1 for free utility line location," he added in a news release. "Call before you dig … it's the law!"


  • Tweets by beforeUdig